Monday 22 November 2010

School & Celebrity Status

I had the funniest day at school on Wednesday, which, I shall come on to. I am helping to teach students at a school who are in the second grade. They are young and at a guess are between the ages of 10 – 14 (I need to find out!). The school is very basic to our standards with a concrete playing area where they also have their assemblies. The rooms are basic concrete shells with windows and there is no central heating anywhere so it can get quite cold. As they are young they are covering quite basic subjects such as learning some verbs and adjectives and putting them in to small sentences. The teacher I work with is called Nancy and she has been very welcoming and friendly. I am helping her with her english and she is helping me with my Spansih. I currently teach from 1pm-6pm Mon – Fri with Thursdays off.

Last week was my first week so it involved meeting each class for the first time. Each class is excited to see a gringo (a white skinned person). At the start of each lesson the teacher introduced me and asked me to do a bit of a talk about myself, where I live, how old I am etc. The kids usually have some questions for you. It is the girls that give the biggest reaction and the question is always “do I have a girlfriend?”When the answer is no they tend to either giggle or scream! The final class I had on Wednesday consisted of about 5 boys and 15 girls. The action from when I entered to when I gave my talk was lots of high pitched screaming! I was then interrogated for most of the lesson on what kind of girls I like, how old should she be and which country she should come from. It was very funny and at the end of the lesson I was asked to give out my email address. I have not checked my messages yet!

3 comments:

  1. thats funny Chris! You've become a god overnight! Look forward to hearing about your next trek! Have fun , Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha oh Chris, I ruddy love you......guess I should get in line and wait my turn :p Miss you!

    ReplyDelete